In honour of World Kindness Day on 13th November, we will be rolling out the red carpet for one remarkably selfless person in Modern Rugs’ home county.
After asking for nominations from local charities, we unearthed staff and volunteers who deserve special thanks for their hard work. We wanted to give these people the recognition they deserve and give you the power to reward one of them with a £200 luxury treat.
We asked each charity to explain why their nominee was so inspirational, so take a look and see who you think should be crowned Modern Rugs’ Unsung Hero.
Providing therapy to children with Cerebal Palsy and other physical difficulties
“Mandy deserves a special treat, not only for working here, but also going that extra mile every day to show her dedication to the charity which helps Chloe lead a better quality of life. She is an inspiration and definitely deserves to win.”
Supporting cancer patients and fundraising
Why Kay is so special – “Kay is one of the most selfless people I have ever met. She is a Trustee and prolific fundraiser for The Chyrelle Addams Cancer Support Trust. In the last 12 months she has secured a £10,000 lottery grant to set up a holiday home for cancer patients. The project is proving to be a huge success, providing a break between gruelling chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment and allowing terminally ill cancer patients to spend some quality time with close friends and family.
“Kay holds down two jobs and looks after her mother who has severe mental health problems. In the 9 years I have known Kay I have never heard her complain and she always has a smile. She is an asset to this charity and I know I could not run it without her.”
Unsung Hero – Ken Sadler
Charity – Lifeline Community Action
A Christian charity serving the community by helping those in need or crisis
Why Ken is so special – “Ken took early retirement so that he could support underprivileged people in our community. He is our treasurer and does a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes. His passion for LCA takes people from a point of desperation and transforms them into people with hope for the future.
“In just over a year he has helped the team support over 2500 people and distribute over £750,000 to people in need. He gives them aid, takes them on holiday, gives lifts and helps with computer courses.
“One of the most beautiful things he does though is to take and frame portraits of the people who come to LCA . We know that this has massively touched those people. He does all of this while suffering with his own health.”
Providing a range of housing advice, support and related services to help young people
Why Leigh is so special – “Leigh is our senior CREE volunteer and has been an integral team member for over four years. I can honestly say without her dedication and passion for the project, I as a project manager would be in serious trouble.
“ Leigh keeps me right! She carries out project administration duties and above all else Leigh has a warm welcome for all our CREE members, especially the new ones.
“Leigh has her own physical health problems she battles with on a daily basis however, she never complains, she is a true inspiration and deserves a luxury experience.”
Helping animals which have been rejected elsewhere and campaign for a number of animal rights.
Why Naomi is so special – “Naomi is our Animal Care Manager. She works silly hours, organises a large number of volunteers and juggles different priorities.
“She is only 26 and is a sheer powerhouse of energy. She will do anything to help the animals. Naomi has only been with us since the beginning of the year and has transformed the animal rescue for the better.”
Now it is up to you to deliver your act of kindness and vote for one Unsung Hero to be spoilt rotten with a luxury experience day worth £200.
1. You may only cast one vote. Voting multiple times will be deemed as cheating and may result in a nominee being disqualified or the competition being cancelled.
2. This competition will open on Monday 10th November at 12pm and close at 12pm on Monday 24th November 2014. Any votes cast after this time will not be counted.
3. Modern Rugs does not accept responsibility for any lost votes
4. The winner will be the nominee who has received the most votes between the competition opening and closing period and will be announced Tuesday 25th November.
5. The competition winner will be contacted personally by Louise Fletcher. In the event of there being no reply from the contact details supplied by the winning nominee Modern Rugs reserves the right to offer the prize to a runner up
6. The prize –A £200 voucher towards a luxury experience day. There will be no alternative prize. Modern rugs hold the right to decide the prize provider.
7. Modern Rugs does not accept responsibility for arrangements and restrictions associated with the experience day. This would need to be taken up with the provider.
8. Modern Rugs reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.